This blog is about me changing. I have met so many amazing women in my life and have been so inspired by them. I want to be like that. I feel like I am looking down a long road but it is the most important road of my life. I am a new wife and now a mother. If there is ever a time to change it is now...

8.16.2012

About Amy, by her husband

I am not a blogger.  I was reading in my scriptures this morning and I came across a passage which led me to start writing.  The Book of Mormon, much like The Bible, is made up of a collection of books written by various prophets who lived before, during, and after Jesus Christ walked the Earth.  I was specifically reading in the Book of Helamen, chapter 15.  The time period is just before the birth of Christ.  Samuel is a prophet and he has gone to the top of a city wall to preach to the people, most of whom have gone astray from the was of the Lord.  He is calling them to repentance and relates a story from a previous year in which a group of people, in an act of sorrow and repentance for the blood they had shed, voluntarily buried their weapons in the ground and promised God they would never fight again.  This group of people was attacked by their enemies but never uncovered their swords.  Samuel's commentary on this situation was that they feared to sin and that they would rather be trodden down by their enemies than offend their Father in Heaven (Helamen 15:9).  Samuel calls each citizen to act in this way.

Amy embodies this faith.  She fears to sin.  She loves her Father in Heaven so much, and is so willing to follow the example of His Son, Jesus Christ, that any mistake causes her to lose sleep and she willfully repents.  She does not need to be compelled to be humble, she is humble.  The Savior himself said in the Sermon on the Mount, Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.  (Matthew 5:6). This is Amy, she is the example.  She is my example.  She has made choices in her life which have strengthened her testimony, strengthened her faith so much it radiates to everyone around her.  Her testimony brought and continues to bring a man like me closer to my Father in Heaven.

Amy asked me once before we were married if I loved her for who she was, and I responded of course I always will.  She then had a look of disappointment, which led to my confusion.  When I asked why she didn't like that answer she told me she loved me for who I can become.  Righteousness will always be rewarded, and each time we take a step toward Heaven it should be celebrated.  Though we cannot forget to continue to improve, continue to take those steps.  If we are not moving forward we are moving backwards.  Just writing that line, it looks like a daunting task.

For the righteous, for the committed, Life isn't easy, but Amy trusts in her Savior with EVERYTHING.   This is what will get us all through and bring about more happiness, than we can imagine, not just after this life but during it as well.  She is trying to teach me this principal of trusting in the Lord, putting ALL your burdens on the Lord because that is what he has asked us to do and he will show us how to overcome them.

Amy is one of the world's greatest teachers.  My faults have made her question this at times and I pray I can make up for that sin.  Further in the Sermon on the Mount the Savior talks about the Salt of the Earth, and candles that should not hide their light, this is Amy.  I know her better than anyone reading this blog, and every word I write is true.  I Love Her.

-Burgess


1 comment:

Anna-Kare said...

"The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her...." Proverbs 31:11 Such a beautiful thing to behold....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...