This blog is about me changing. I have met so many amazing women in my life and have been so inspired by them. I want to be like that. I feel like I am looking down a long road but it is the most important road of my life. I am a new wife and now a mother. If there is ever a time to change it is now...

3.19.2012

My Most Priceless Possession

I've been thinking a lot about marriage lately. I went to the temple about a week and a half ago and received personal instruction about marriage while in the session and then a few days later someone said something to me that sparked an evaluation of my feelings about marriage. And now I'm going to write them down :)

My marriage is my most priceless possession. It is. It's not the diamond in my wedding ring that was passed on from Burgess' mothers wedding ring. It is not even my children. It is the covenant I made with my husband and with God. Sometimes it is easy to forget this but it is true and it is so important for me to remember it.

Recently I have made a point to actively treat my marriage as if it is a rare, precious and priceless possession. One that is fragile and irreplaceable. I don't view my relationship with Burgess as fragile, in fact I believe it is very strong, but I don't ever want to take it for granted and become a lazy partner in my marriage. Looking back on our 4 years together I feel I may be guilty of that at times and it scares me how easy it is to do. It scares me how quickly marriages fail...how a once happy, loving couple can become so unhappy and so unfriendly that thing will never heal between them.

I try hard to remember that it's just him and me against the world - literally. I try to consider us as if we were Adam and Eve - recently banished from the Garden of Eden. Think of it. If they did not make things work between them there would be no one else. There was no other option. It was Adam or no one for Eve. I think if more people approached their marriage with that attitude then they would try much harder to protect and preserve the bond that they have. It's this marriage or no marriage. It's this guy or loneliness. It's this love or no love at all. It sounds a little harsh and many people might disagree with me but in the world we live in I feel like this approach to marriage is best. Of course things happen and marriages sometimes fail and that's okay but how many could be saved if a man and woman who have promised their lives to one another treated that promise as if their actual life depended on keeping it?

I am so grateful to have the opportunity to be married. To have someone by my side through this life. To never be alone in my daily struggles. I am such so lucky to have a man who is wonderful and true to me, I just want to be something special for him.

1 comment:

stephanie and sean said...

I love these thoughts and love that you shared them. Viewing marriage in such a way changes everything! I needed to hear this today. Thank you thank you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...